Monday, February 20, 2012

Downton Abbey, Conciousness and Buddhism

Carson: "We may have to have a maid in the dining room."

The Earl of Grantham: "Cheer up Carson, there are worse things happening in the world."

Carson: "Not worse than a maid serving a duke."

Aside from Downton Abbey one of my avocations is the study of Conciousness. I have studied the subject for a good while attending workshops, reading and meditating regularly. Recently I acquired two new books, "The Magicians Way" by Wm. Whitehead and "You are Here," by Thich Naht Hanh. The books provide a contrast which is instructive to those interested in this subject.


I think there theoretical truth in this theory. However, in my experience, two problems arise in practice. First, it is extraordinarily difficult to strain out thoughts and emotions and to maintain a pure focus on ones goal. Second, there is the issue of the subconscious. How can one know that what is really a desire when so many desires come from the hidden unbidden? I have not been able to figure this out.

Whitecloud's book reminds me greatly of it predecessors, "The Celestine Prophecy" and "The Secret." He explains that the it is possible, by holding a goal in mind purely and without the interference of unreal thoughts and feelings, to manifest directly and instantly what we want. He states that to do so, we must recognize that thoughts and emotions are not real. By doing so, we may function on the plane of creation purely and efficiently.

I believe Whitecloud's approach has merit. Although, it is difficult to achieve in practice. First, I have found it extraordinarily difficult to hold a goal in mind without the intercessors of emotion and thought. Second, there is the issue of the subconcious. How does one manifest when the subconcious arises and asserts it's will, unbidden?

My favorite spiritual development instructor is by far, the Vietnamese Buddhist monk Thich Naht Hanh. The many books written by him clearly and effectively explain Buddhist philosophy to the western mind. "Things inter-exist; they inte-are. They are organic. There is no path to the cessation of suffering without suffering." In other words, enlightenment comes from the experience of life wholly, light and dark.

The contrast between the two approaches is interesting as it is instructive. Namaste.








1 comment:

  1. Great blog!

    I don't have a meditation practice so much as I dabble. I don't use it to propel me toward a goal but as a means to that "hidden unbidden" you mention, a window to the soul, a spiritual practice, a way of finding meaning and even passion.

    The "quiet-ness" of meditation provides a great balance for people like you with brilliant, busy brains.

    I'm reading Sarah Susanka's Not So Big Life which is a nice primer in living deliberately, using architecture as a metaphor. Just my speed.

    Peace to you Bill.

    ReplyDelete